Monday, December 30, 2013

Overcoming Female Stress Incontinence with Kegel Exercises

Looking back, I could have enjoyed my growing up and early adult years if I didn’t suffer from female stress incontinence. It’s that condition when you get your underwear wet from urine even if you don’t want to. It’s so embarrassing, frustrating, and yes, it can be very humiliating as well.


incontinence-girlI was 12 or 13 years old when it first started. I wet my underwear when I laughed, ran or exerted effort in carrying or pushing heavy things around. This happening during the 1980’s didn’t help either. Yes, girls were increasingly becoming liberated during those times. We talked about boys, dates, and yes, even sex; but nobody ever talked about getting their underwear wet.


I distinctly remember the time when I was called on to do a board activity in Math class. I was so tense and I guess that triggered my bladder to go gaga. Instead of heading for the board, I went straight to the comfort room, barely making it to the toilet. My underwear, skirt, socks and shoes were all wet. I had to make up a story about slipping on the bathroom floor and asked permission to go home.


The Hard Times


I felt so humiliated and alone. How can a girl like me suffer from something like this? Sure, I have seen my grandmother pass urine during the most inconvenient time, but a 13-year-old girl like me peeing on myself was simply catastrophic. I couldn’t tell anybody, lest I be ridiculed by my family members, friends and classmates. Yes, I suffered in silence. Nobody ever told me that millions of women suffered from female stress incontinence, that it was a disease, that it can be treated and that I could live a normal life.


How I wanted to be like my friends and classmates who were free to run, jump and laugh out loud. Because of my condition, I had to stay away from sports and friends. I became shy and lethargic. Yes, I didn’t enjoy my youth as I should.


I thought getting married and having kids would make me feel secure and stop me from leaking. But no – marriage and motherhood even aggravated the problem. I peed on myself more everyday each time I had a new baby. My husband found it increasingly disturbing to have a wife who leaks in the most inopportune times, like when we were making love so he suggested that I see a doctor.


I had to muster all my strength to see one. I had to prepare myself for whatever the man in the white coat might say, like I needed surgery or worse, that there’s no known cure for my condition.


A Natural Way Out


Each time I recall that visit to my doctor’s office, I try to resist the urge to slap myself dozens, even thousands of times. If I told somebody of my condition, I could have enjoyed a happier, more fulfilling life. I could have enjoyed playing volleyball, or running wild or laughing out as loud as I could.


And all it took was locating the muscles responsible for holding urine and doing Kegel exercises. I needed no medications, hospital confinement, or surgery. I just had to master those exercises that strengthened my pelvic floor muscles.


I felt so icky at first because I had to insert a finger in my vagina to locate those muscles. Then the doctor asked me to squeeze that finger with my vagina. Lo and behold! I felt those muscles for the first time.


It took me several days to isolate those muscles. Perfecting the exercises stretched on for weeks. I Kegeled each time I can – while watching TV, doing the laundry or tutoring my kids. It became a great way to pass the time away. I Kegel when somebody talks about a boring subject; when I have to deal with after work traffic or even when I have to bear with long lines to the cashier.


Did it help?


Well, I am a living proof that Kegel exercises really work. I don’t wet my underwear anymore – not to mention that my husband enjoys it a lot when I Kegel as we make love.



Read more at >> Overcoming Female Stress Incontinence with Kegel Exercises

No comments:

Post a Comment