Monday, December 30, 2013

Treatment for Urinary Incontinence That You Never Thought Possible

Adorable senior womanLife could have been a little different or even better for people suffering from “leaking accidents” if they sought treatment for urinary incontinence early on. The problem, is, they’d rather bear their disease in silence, for fear that people won’t understand that losing control over their bladder is an involuntary act and not something they would do willingly just to get attention or inconvenience anyone.


I know. I myself had suffered from urinary incontinence for the most part of my life. I have felt what it’s like to get sleepless nights in and friends’ homes lest I leave a telltale mark of my accident on their beds. I know what it’s like to feel depressed when I have recurring accidents day in and day out. I know how it’s like to lie to the laundrywoman as to why my sheets, bedding materials and clothes always carry that pungent, acidic smell that can only come from urine. And seriously, it has affected my life – from the way I dealt with strangers to how I kept secrets even to my own family.


But that was years ago. Today, I enjoy the feeling of having complete control of my bladder. I no longer have to bear with wet undergarments through the night or even as I stand in front of my class. No, I didn’t wait for a miracle to happen. I simply did my research, consulted my doctor and asked for a treatment for urinary incontinence.


Treatment for Urinary Incontinence: Do You Need Surgery?


If you think that urinary incontinence can only be treated by surgery, then you’ve got it all wrong. Sure, there are inborn deficiencies that may require you to go under the knife, but for most cases (like mine), all it takes are a few exercises and a change of lifestyle. There’s nothing invasive at all.


Squatting


Did you know that squatting to pee on your toilet floor is a very effective treatment for urinary incontinence? Yes, it is. It’s because our bodies are designed to dispose of waste more easily by squatting, as weird as you might think it is.  And yes, it also helps prevent urinary tract infection.


Scheduled urination


Experts say that timing your trips to the toilet trains your bladder to relieve itself only when you’re already there. Well, this takes a lot of getting used to, as it also requires time and effort to retrain that bladder of yours, but it can be done.


Lifestyle change


Diet plays a very important role in urinary incontinence. You’ll have to say adieu to your favorite latte, soda even chocolate drink and ice cream. All of these contain caffeine which can cause you to pee more than you should. Just drink a lot of water instead. Doing so will actually lessen your trips to the toilet, make your urine smell better and improve your general health as well.


Kegel Exercises


This exercise helps strengthen the pelvic floor muscles, which support the bladder. You’ve probably heard about this infamous exercise but just don’t know how to do it. This set of exercises may be a bit difficult at first, but it gets easier when you do it several times on a daily basis. No idea as to where the pelvic floor muscles are located? You’ll feel those muscles at work when you try to stop the flow of your urine in midstream. Do you feel that slight tingling sensation? No worries. It only means that your muscles are working. And yes, Kegel exercise are good both genders.


Medications


Your doctor can prescribe some drugs as treatment for urinary incontinence. There are those which can relax an overactive bladder (Anticholinergics);  revitalize the walls of the vagina (Topical estrogen) and treat stress or urge incontinence (Imipramine and Duloxetine).


Try any of these treatments for urinary incontinence. It just might be the solution you have been searching for the longest time ever.



Read more at >> Treatment for Urinary Incontinence That You Never Thought Possible

No comments:

Post a Comment